Berlin Germany’s capital is a top-rated tourist attraction due to its diverse art scenes. I highly recommend it to anyone that loves history and enjoys an artistic atmosphere.
If Berlin is in your bucket list, congrats! You will be amazed by the iconic museums and its captivating sights.
Due to the complexity of the neighborhoods in Berlin, I have prepared a list of recommendations of where to stay in Berlin sorted by hotels and prices for each area.
If you don’t have time:
Which area should you choose?
Berlin has a couple of central areas that you can stay in including Alexanderplatz, Potsdamer Platz, the Nikolaiviertel and Unter den Linden.
- Best area to stay in Berlin in the budget: Friedrichshain
- Where to stay in Berlin as first-timers: Berlin Mitte
- Where to stay in Berlin to enjoy the nightlife: Warschauer Strasse
- Where to stay in Berlin with your family: Prenzlauer Berg
| In Berlin’s east, Friedrichshain has a punky, alternative vibe
Friedrichshain neighborhood is the perfect place for people who want to dance and make new friends. Warschauer Strasse is the center of this neighborhood and it is surrounded by clubs and restaurants. Warschauer Straße railway station is a perfect starting point for a walk along with the East Side Gallery. The East Side Gallery is an open-air gallery in Berlin. It consists of a series of murals painted directly on a 1,316 m long remnant of the Berlin Wall.
If you think that this is the perfect place for you, here are my hotel recommendations in Friedrichshain:
- LUXURY HOTEL: Michelberger Hotel .The Michelberger Hotel ‘s individually furnished rooms feature artistic décor and cable TV. Each has a private bathroom with shower. The restaurant serves healthy, organic meals, made with fresh local ingredients. Vegan and vegetarian options are available. Guests can relax with a drink and a book in the café-bar, and there are often live music events in the evenings. The famous East Side Gallery is a 5-minute walk from the Michelberger, and Berlin’s Kreuzberg district is a 10-minute walk away. Warschauer Straße S-Bahn (city rail) and underground station is opposite the hotel. From here, Alexanderplatz Square is 3 stops away and Berlin Main Station is 6 stops away.
- ECONOMY PRICES: Hotel Indigo Berlin – East Side Gallery. This stylish hotel lies between the Mercedes-Benz Arena and the East Side Gallery, the remaining iconic section of the Berlin Wall. It offers free WiFi, business services and a rooftop bar with stunning city views. Rooms at Hotel Indigo Berlin – East Side Gallery are individually furnished. Each room is air-conditioned and includes a flat-screen TV, a desk, kettle and a private bathroom with shower.
- BUDGET-FRIENDLY: PLUS Berlin Hostel und Hotel.This modern hotel and hostel in ’s trendy Friedrichshain district is opposite Warschauer Strasse Train Station. It features an , , and free Wi-Fi.
| Mitte is Berlin’s central borough, home to the Brandenburg Gate and Museum Island’s art institutions
Mitte is the area where all the top-rated attractions are located: Alexanderplatz, Brandenburg Gate, Museum Island, etc. Since it is very popular, Mitte can be very expensive at times. If you are planning to stay in this neighborhood, I recommend you to book in advance! Here is my list of hotel recommendations in Mitte, Berlin:
- LUXURY HOTELS: The Mandala Suites. THE MANDALA SUITES is ideally situated, with its main entrance directly on the Friedrichstraße and the Gendarmenmarkt right around the corner. A short walk will take you to the points of interest in Berlin Mitte, such as Unter den Linden, the Reichstag, Checkpoint Charlie, the State Opera House, the Humboldt Forum and the Museumsinsel.
- ECONOMIC PRICES: Park Plaza Wallstreet Berlin Mitte. The design of the Park Plaza Wallstreet Berlin Mitte has been inspired by the New York Stock Exchange. The spacious rooms feature a flat-screen TV, a smartphone, a laptop safe and award-winning, dollar-bill carpets.
- BUDGET-FRIENDLY: ONE80° Hostels Berlin. This hostel in Berlin’s trendy Mitte district features free WiFi, a stylish bar, and its own club. Square S-Bahn Train and Underground Station is 300 m away.
3. Warschauer Strasse
| The center of party life, the beginning and end of many great nights in the capital
Warschauer Strasse is a major street in the Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg district of Berlin.It is a very popular street, full of restaurants, bars and galleries. Fun to walk and look at art and the large statue located there. The street is named after Warsaw, the capital of Poland.
- LUXURY HOTELS: Hotel Hampton By Hilton Berlin City East Side Gallery. Hampton By Hilton Berlin City East Side Gallery provides contemporary-style rooms with a work area, laptop safe, a flat-screen TV and tea/coffee facilities. Bathrooms feature a walk-in shower.
- ECONOMIC PRICES: Hotel MEININGER Hotel Berlin East Side Gallery. Featuring free WiFi throughout the property, MEININGER Hotel Berlin East Side Gallery is located opposite of the East Side Gallery in Berlin’s district Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg. Guests can enjoy the on-site bar.
- BUDGET-FRIENDLY: Hostel Industriepalast Hostel & Hotel Berlin. provides with great city views, and most feature a private bathroom. Guests are welcome to use the shared kitchen and laundry room.
4. Prenzlauer Berg
| Kid-friendly cafes, Prenzlauer Berg is home to young professionals and well-to-do families.
Prenzlauer is preferred by young families. The magnificent architecture, picturesque streets, kinder cafes, and playgrounds sit on every corner make this place unique.
- LUXURY HOTEL: Myer’s Hotel Berlin. The rooms and suites of the Myer’s Hotel Berlin feature high ceilings, fine wood, and paintings. All rooms also include manually adjustable .
- ECONOMIC PRICES: Hotel Victor’s Residenz-Hotel Berlin. The rooms and studio apartments of Victor’s Residenz-Hotel Berlin are tastefully furnished and decorated in warm shades, providing a relaxing base from which to explore Berlin. They offer satellite TV with free Sky channels as well as free national and international telephone calls to landlines and mobiles.
- BUDGET-FRIENDLY: Hotel B!RGIT Berlin Mitte. This 3-star hotel is located in the trendy Prenzlauer Berg district of Berlin. It offers rooms with soundproofed windows, free internet connection, a garden with terrace, and great transport links.